Welcome

It's my life and I love it...most of the time.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Talents of a Parent: Things I Have Learned Part III

I want to take a little different turn with today's blog. Still along the line of parent talents, but in a different venue than we have been covering. There are several things I enjoy doing, but perhaps none more than photography. I have taken pictures for a long time, since I was in elementary school. To say the least, my ability has evolved over the years. I have always taken pictures of people and activities going on around me. I have scrapbooked them since I was in high school. It is very important to me to capture the memories that are happening around me, not only for myself, but for my children. I cherish that I am creating a written and pictoral history for the generations to come after me. My grandchildren will be able to see so many of the things their parents experienced growing up.

More recently, I have also taken a bigger interest in capturing God's beauty that surrounds me. I find his beauty on vacations to some of the most incredible places on earth, and I find it in my own front yard. His beauty surrounds us everywhere.

We all have things we enjoy doing. It is important as a parent that we not let those interests die when we become parents. Don't get me wrong. It is important for us to help foster our children as they discover their own interests, but not at the expense of our own. It is very healthy for us to teach our children that following our interests is important. It is important to the health and happiness of the family unit. It is good to take a break sometimes, and there should be no guilt felt if we need it. It is not only healthy for us as a parent, but it is healthy for our children as well. It is equally as healty for our children to learn to do things without us sometimes.

I don't always get to do some of the things I like to do when I would like to do them. But I do take advantage when I get the chance. My family has even been know to humor me and participate in some of the things I enjoy doing. I would like to share some of my favorite photographs with you. Let me know what you think. I would love to hear about what you are passionate about! What are some of those little things that you crave to get away and do?















2 comments:

  1. I love the photos Lori! You photographed some of my favorite things--snow covered mtns and the lakes near them, waterfalls, firewks, and your skill developed over the yrs shows. Rochelle

    ReplyDelete